(make sure you read all the way through step 5… it’s a doozy)
What you don’t realize is the fact that their manufacturers are helping the retailer scam you by providing:
The main retail manufacturers will assign each store with a different name and label for the same mattress so you can’t find that mattress, with that name on it, at a different store. Therefore, you can’t price shop that mattress at another store. Therefore, you could not possibly find a better price, at least for that mattress with that name on it, at another store.
The main retail manufacturers that don’t provide Private Labelling will instead use Price Fixing. This means that they will not allow ANY retailer to advertise or sell any of their products below a certain amount. This ensures that if you do find the same mattress label at two different stores, the price will be similar. And that price will be ridiculously high. You will be able to get the exact same mattress from a different manufacturer at a fraction of the cost.
The main retail manufacturers spend hundreds of millions of dollars on national advertising. This advertising is designed to make you think their brand is inherently better and therefore should cost more. This could not be further from the truth. The fact is, their mattresses will always be lower quality at a higher price. We call this Inflationary Advertising… advertising designed solely to make you think their product is superior, when it’s not, so they can supposedly justify a higher price, which they shouldn’t.
1) Since you have a “lowest price guarantee” in your hands, chances are you won’t shop elsewhere because you figure the price has to be good, or they couldn’t give you a guarantee.
2) If you do shop elsewhere, you can’t find the same mattress with the same name on it at a different store. And, unless that store is Wholesale Mattress Warehouse, the prices are going to be similar, so you figure you really did get a decent deal.
3) If you do come to us and realize you paid way too much and try to get your money back, they will put all kinds of barriers in your way like, “I’ll have to talk to my manager and he’s not here today.”
4) Ultimately, if you don’t just drop it, they’ll make you produce documentation of the same mattress with the same name at a lower price, which you won’t be able to do because of the private labelling.
5) If you try to make a claim on the 100 night test drive, it will only be for store credit, you will not get your money back, and you almost always have to pay a “restocking fee” for the swap out.
6) The sick thing is that the “restocking fee” is almost always significantly higher than what the mattress actually cost the store, so they are making money on the swap out as well.